Recognize the Warning Signs of Bullying August 29, 2022 – Posted in: Blog, Bullying
Bullying is a serious problem around the world and the number of bullies as well as those being bullied grows each year. It is important that we recognize the warning signs of bullying whether it is the signs of someone being bullied or the signs of someone actually taking part as the bully. If you are a parent or even an individual working in an environment (school or work) where bullying may be present, here are a few warning signs that can help you recognize bullying from the get-go rather than when it is too late.
Warning Signs of Being Bullied
There are many warning signs of a child or individual being bullied. Some of these warning signs are listed below; however, there are plenty that are not listed. If for any reason you believe you know someone that is being bullied, you should take action immediately. Here are signs of a student being bullied:
- Reports the loss of items including but not limited to jewelry, books, clothes and electronics.
- Has injuries that are unexplained or that he/she does not wish to speak about.
- Comes home from school or work with missing belongings including books and clothes.
- Has difficulty sleeping and complains of frequent bad dreams or nightmares.
- Frequently complains of being sick, having headaches and stomach aches.
- Experiences changes in eating habits.
- Comes home hungry because they did not eat lunch.
- Running away and/or leaving home.
- Hurts themselves.
- Scared to go to school.
- Interest is lost in school, extra-curricular activities, sports, etc.
- Appears to be sad and depressed upon arrival at home from school.
- Acts differently than normal.
- Frequently feels as though they are not good enough.
- Avoids specific places in town.
- Has fewer friends unexpectedly.
- Talks about suicide.
Warning Signs of a Bully
Just as there are children that are bullied, there are also those that bully. Generally, there are more victims than attackers, but it is still just as important to be able to recognize a bully as it is a victim. Here are a few warnings of a bully:
- Has new belongings and/or extra money without a real explanation of where the items came from.
- Is very quick to blame other individuals.
- Receives detention or is sent to the principal’s office on a regular basis.
- Prone to partake in verbal and physical fights with others.
- Is often violent with others.
- Has friends that are violent with others and bully others.
- Will not accept responsibility for their actions.
- Feels that they need to be the best at what they do and that they need to win.
You have now been equipped with the knowledge of what to expect to see from a bully or from a bully’s victim. Bullying is a very serious problem and is frankly turning into a widespread epidemic, so to speak. We can help stop the act of bullying by being familiar with the warning signs of a bully and the warning signs of someone being bullied. Take action now to help protect our youngster’s futures!
By Paul Halme – Author of the Bully Prevention Blueprint http://www.peakbjj.com Keller, Texas 817-614-9325